10/29/2007

The Hardest Thing About Writing In English

What is the hardest thing about writing in English? What areas are you struggling with the most? Can you describe how you feel and what you go through while trying to compose your thoughts in English?

The hardest thing about writing in English to me is grammar. I always worry about my grammar and the way of using the words, I’m afraid that the reader can not understand what I mean. Essay is what I am struggling with the most. It’s strange; I grew up with a lot of essay training. I studied and wrote essays more than narratives at school. I was used to write essays instead of narratives or statements. I was familiar with the format of essay -- the four steps in the composition of an essay, gives some examples and counter-examples and judgement. However, I seldom write essays since I graduated from junior high school. The last time when I was asked for writing a short essay in English within 20 minutes, I completed it hard, and it’s not organized well, most of all, it is crap. Although narrative is also not easy to me, it doesn’t tighten me so much as essay does. In addition to my grammar, my vocabulary is also a problem. Sometimes I knew a word already, but I just can’t recall it. Then I’ll use a computer dictionary; spell the word according to the pronunciation in my head, to look up the word; sometimes I just type Chinese to find the word, and pick up the word I already knew; sometimes I look up English-English dictionary for more examples and the way of using the word. I depends on dictionaries so much, thus I feel more comfortable if I have dictionaries (particularly computer dictionaries) when I am writing.




沒有留言:

張貼留言