11/24/2007

Why Did You Choose Your Major (3)

   I used to major in Electrical Engineering (EE) when I was a high school student at the Ming-Chi University of Technology. However, now I am a computer science major at the National Taiwan University of Science and Technology (NTUST). The change I made and the major I chose are based on practical reasons: my interests, my character, and love for freedom.

   First, during my five years at Ming-Chi, I found that I was better at computer-related courses than electrical or electronic-related courses. If I spent the same amount of time at different courses, the outcomes of computer ones were always more satisfying. Besides, I won an award in a nationwide game and two awards in two collage-wide games; when I was in my internship at Formosa, I even volunteered to develop a database application which drew a lot of admiration from my supervisors. Those rewards tremendously enhanced my confidence in computer. I thought I should put myself in a right spot to make my talent be well developed. Also, according to the rate of return on investment, I thought I might have a gift for computer.

   Secondly, I was interested in computer science more than others, and I felt computer was friendlier than oscilloscope; if I had to choose something for company for eight hours per day, I’d rather choose computer. Moreover, abstractions and symbols were more charming to me. I loved to use logic and concept to construct a program or understand a system. To derive equations and to use mathematics to analyze a system also interested me. Most of all, there is no physics in computer science, which gave me much comfort.

   Furthermore, computer major would give me more freedom. I knew there were some SOHOs and LOHAs working at coffee shops, at their houses, or even traveling around the world for their jobs. It could prevent me from being imprisoned in an office or a laboratory because it gave me more choices of life styles.

   Considering the efforts that I put and what I gained from them, my interests, and the life styles I could choose, I chose to be computer science major.




沒有留言:

張貼留言